Re-vamping the Wardrobe

20170422_153756[1]

In my room there was a wardrobe and two sets of cupboards that had doors with slats, I didn’t particularly like the look of them. Originally I was going to take out the slats, re-enforce ¬† the cupboards and cover the middle with fabric but when we went to look at the materials needed I realised that it was going to cost way to much to do that, so I had to come up with something else. Eventually I decided to take the doors off completely on the two sets of smaller cupboards and replace the doors on the larger wardrobe with extra curtains I had.

So we went out again the following weekend to buy Paint for the woodwork that I was doing, whilst we were there bought some wallpaper to line to insides of the smaller cupboards and bought a metal rod to put the curtains on and the appropriate fittings for the rod.

20170422_154038[1]

When we got home I took off the doors (with the help of my dad) then measured the cupboards with a measuring tape.

20170422_154058[1]

We then cut the rod to the right size before attaching the fittings to the inside of the wardrobe.

20170422_153851[1]

After checking that the rod fitted we slided on the curtain and put it up. (that’s also the wallpaper I chose for the inside of the cupboard above.)

20170422_153818[1]

Here is the final thing, once the first one was done and I was happy we repeated the steps for the second one. I really like how it looks and will be doing the smaller cupboards above soon once I’ve bought the wallpaper paste and sorted out the woodwork.

IKEA Bureau.

After moving the white cupboards out the way there was quite a gap where they were. So to fill this gap I asked my Dad to buy me a white metal bureau from IKEA . Putting it together was not the easiest ¬†thing as IKEA instructions are not the best but with the help of my Dad we got it together and I’m really happy with how it looks.

afterphotos1

When my Dad brought home I helped carry it up the stairs which was easier said then done as the box was rather heavy and oddly shaped so getting round the newel post and the top of the stairs was interesting..

IMG_5458.JPG

we then started the assembly process. It took a while for us to understand how to start but once we figured it out it was together quite quickly.

IMG_5459.JPG

here are some more photos of the assembly process.

IMG_5460.JPG

 

IMG_5464.JPG

And here is the final product! Like I said earlier I’m really happy with how it looks, as you can see I put my plants and some of my jewellery on there. Its is a lot shorter in height than I thought is was but I am surprised with amount if storage space it has and I like the fact it has keys so you can lock it.

IMG_5465.JPG

Painting

As it’s now the Easter Holidays I decided to paint my walls as I have more time, two of the walls already had 1 coat of paint on so I concentrated on the other two. I started by moving any furniture out the way then covering everything in dust sheets and getting the paint.

IMG_5491.JPG

 

The paint had separated so I gave it a good mix before finding the smallest paint brush and learning from my Mum how to ‘cut in’. ‘Cutting in’ is painting around the edges of the walls to get a neat edge around the skirting board, ceiling and anything else the wall touches. ‘Cutting in’ was definitely the most tedious part of the process.

IMG_5492.JPG

 

Once the first coat had dried, I noticed the the wallpaper underneath had started peeling of the wall. I think it was the moisture of the paint that caused this, but to fix it me, my Mum and my sister went to the Range to buy some wallpaper glue ( to stick it down) and some filler to fill the gaps that there were. Whilst we were there I picked up some free wallpaper samples, to use in my portfolio as part of some pages on texture I’m doing.

To stick the wallpaper down I used one of my sister’s little paintbrushes, this worked really well as I was able to easily get underneath the bit that had peeled up without peeling up anymore. It didn’t say on the tub how long to let it dry so I left it over night just to be sure. The next day I did the filling, which was also pretty straight forward. Using my finger to apply it to the wall the a scraper to scrape off the excess. After a few hours it was dry so I sanded it with some really fine sandpaper to get a smooth finish and make everything even.

The next day I did and second coat on both walls, I only just had enough paint to do it and when we went to get more paint to do a third coat we realised that the colour I’ve used, melon sorbet, isn’t made anymore so we’re going to have to go to B&Q and get it costom made which it a bit annoying but at least there is a way of getting the colour I need. so instead of doing another coat I sanded the woodwork, tied up the painting stuff, vacuumed, and put my room back to how it was.

I really like the way the colour look on my walls, it looks fine with two coats but three will look better. now that the majority of the paintings done, I can start the decorating which is going to be the bset part of this whole thing I think.